NE Newer Camp Director Resource Community, October 2022 – May 2023
ACA New England Office, Lexington, MA Visit Website
Thursday, October 06, 2022
- Thursday, May 04, 2023
Export to iCalendar
Eastern Standard Time
For camp professionals with 1-4 summers of camp director experience
(Both day and resident camp directors are welcome! As space is limited, we can only accommodate one director per camp at this time.)
We know that building community with colleagues from a variety of camps throughout New England will help you feel supported as you move forward in your camping career.
Join us for a series of monthly facilitated discussions (October to May) where you’ll have the opportunity to share ideas and resources, get feedback, troubleshoot challenges, and explore opportunities in a safe and professional space.
While topics are flexible based on the group’s needs/interests, discussions in prior years have included (but were not limited to) the following:
- Building & supporting your team: recruiting, hiring, compensation & benefits, retention, training, evaluation
- Behind-the-scenes: risk management, budgeting, technology, marketing
- Being a leader: time management, hard decisions
- Mental, emotional, and social health (MESH): policies, best practices, resources, self-care
- Camp culture and tradition: exploring the “why,” innovating
- Parent engagement: handbooks, communication, recruitment
While we may ask you to spend 10-15 minutes thinking about a prompt or doing a brief exercise before each meeting, we know your time is valuable, so most of the “work” will take place during session meetings.
For 2022-2023, we will offer a hybrid series with two in-person sessions (October and April), one meet-up at the New England Camp Conference, and six Zoom sessions on the following Thursday dates and times:
- Thursday, October 6, 10:30 am – 1:30 pm, in-person (outdoors; no virtual option), ACA, New England office, 80 Westview Street, Lexington, MA
- Thursday, November 3, 10:00 – 11:30 am, Zoom
- Thursday, December 8, 10:00 – 11:30 am, Zoom
- Thursday, January 5, 10:00 – 11:30 am, Zoom
- Thursday, February 9, 10:00 – 11:30 am, Zoom
- Thursday, March 2, 10:00 – 11:30 am, Zoom
- March 30, 31, or April 1, in-person meet-up at the New England Camp Conference for those attending, exact day and time TBD
- Thursday, April 13, 10:30 am – 1:30 pm, in-person, ACA, New England office, 80 Westview Street, Lexington, MA
- Thursday, May 4, 10:00 – 11:30 am, Zoom
Emily Golinsky, Founder of Bright Moose Training, Consulting & Advocacy, former Executive Director at Camp Starfish and a member of ACA, New England’s New Camp Director Workshop faculty, will facilitate the sessions. Her role will be to encourage participant-led discussions, provide resources, offer observations and insights, all while keeping the conversation and session flow going!
This series is not designed to be a how-to, but more an interactive discussion-based opportunity for directors looking to build their professional network and resource sharing as leaders. If you are looking for more skill-based sessions, please reach out to ACA, New England as they may be able to help you identify other opportunities to meet these needs.
Trying to decide if this is a good fit for you? We’d say yes if your job responsibilities include at least a few of the following: overseeing staff teams, including HR functions and training; establishing policies for your camp/organization; setting and managing a budget; creating parent handbooks; and being involved with strategic business decisions for your camp/organization.