NE Articles Discussions: Dr. Brooks' writings
Online (ACA, New England's Zoom)
Wednesday, May 04, 2022
3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Export to iCalendar
Eastern Standard Time
Articles Discussion: Dr. Robert Brooks’ writings on resilience, tenacity, optimism and positive relationships
Dr. Robert Brooks is a clinical psychologist and leading author on the themes of resilience, motivation, and tenacity – all topics related to youth development and social emotional learning, cornerstones of most summer camp experiences. He has written numerous books, including Raising Resilient Children and Tenacity in Children. These books are great reads, but we know your time is limited. So, Dr. Brooks has cultivated five of his articles exploring these ideas for us to read and discuss, along with an article that he was interviewed for that appeared in CampBusiness. To view and download the articles, click HERE.
Some questions we’ll talk about (and we’ll send more as the date nears if you’re registered) include:
- Of all the ideas in the articles, what do you think camps already do well? Where are areas we can do better?
- Given the effects of the pandemic over the last couple of years, do any of these concepts from the articles seem even more important to think about now than before?
- How are the needs of campers and staff, as they relate to resiliency, optimism, connection, etc., similar? Different?
- What can I do to help each camper feel welcome in my presence? How about staff?
- What do you want the memories kids have of you to be, especially as they relate to the concept of resiliency? What will you intentionally say and do so campers will have the memories that you’d like them to have?
Then, join us again from 6:00 – 7:00 pm on Monday, May 16 for The Camp Experience: A Source of Resilience for Children and Teens when Dr. Brooks will be with us to answer your questions, highlight factors that strengthen hope, confidence, caring, and resilience in children and teens, and describe specific, realistic strategies that camps can apply. Click here for more information and to register.
Register for one or both sessions! The May 4 discussion will be live and WILL NOT be recorded.
About the presenter:
Dr. Robert Brooks: Dr. Robert Brooks is a clinical psychologist on the faculty of Harvard Medical School and former Director of the Department of Psychology at McLean Hospital, a private psychiatric hospital in the Boston area. He has lectured nationally and internationally to audiences of parents, educators, mental health and health care professionals, and a variety of organizations on topics pertaining to resilience across the lifespan, family and parenting relationships, and creating positive school and work environments. He has provided presentations about resilience at conferences sponsored by ACA and ACA-New England. Dr. Brooks has received numerous awards for his work and has served as a consultant to Sesame Street Parents Magazine. For further information, please visit Dr. Brooks’ website at www.drrobertbrooks.com.